"Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God" Philippians 4:6
Prayer is a wonderful means of communication with our Almighty God. God WANTS
to hear from you. The first step in starting an effective prayer life is to ensure that you have asked Jesus to be your Savior. If you are not sure how to do that, please click on the "Is Heaven in Your Future?" link to the right.
Because of our sin nature, even a child of God may become entangled in sin after asking Jesus to be their Savior. That sin must be dealt with before God. Psalms 66:18
King David states, "If I regard iniquity (sin) in my heart, the LORD will not hear." Sin separates us from God and must be dealt with by confessing it to Him.
Did you know that Christ provided us with a model for how we should pray? It's found in Matthew 6:9-13
. Here is a basic pattern:
1. Recognize the Father/child relationship. "Our Father in heaven..." (v.9a)
2. Recognize the Deity/worshiper relationship. "...Hallowed be Your name." (v.9b)
3. Recognize the Sovereign/subject relationship. "Your kingdom come..." (v.10a)
4. Recognize the Master/servant relationship. "...Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (v.10b)
5. Recognize the Benefactor/beneficiary relationship. "Give us this day our daily bread." (v.11)
6. Recognize the Savior/sinner relationship. "And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors." (v.12)
5. Recognize the Guide/pilgrim relationship. "And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one..." (v.13a)
6. Recognize the Conqueror/sin. "...For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen." (v.13b)
At Berean Baptist Church, we recognize the importance of prayer. We have a prayer service every Wednesday night at 7pm. We would love for you to join us!